Opening day for the Washington Nationals got a little hairy after a major transfer point on the Metro closed down because of smoke on the tracks.
Metro closed two Red Line stations for two hours Monday while the D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services and Metro personnel investigated a report of smoke on the tracks Monday, Metro spokesperson Richard Jordan said.
Jordan said the source of the smoke was a stud bolt that was grounded. Metro did not run trains between two stops while Metro and D.C. Fire EMS investigated.
“The location of the stud bolt was between Gallery Place and Judiciary Square, so trains were turned back at the stations on either side (Metro Center and Union Station),” Jordan said.
Metro single-tracked Red Line trains at least three times for issues with the tracks on Thursday, including two during rush hour, according to Metro.
Brake problems on a Metro Red Line train and a broken rail requiring immediate repairs near a Metro station each caused trains to run on a single track during rush hour during the past week.
“Every train has multiple brake pads that apply and release,” Metro spokesperson Sherri Ly said. “Occasionally, a single brake pad on a train may not fully release, which can cause continual friction between the pad and the friction ring. This in turn, results in heat and brake dust.”
That is just one type of brake problem that happens on a Metro train. Each time Metro disables a train for this reason, it affects the rate of train traffic. It happened at Medical Center Station Sept. 29.
D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services investigated a “smoldering bolt” at Gallery Place Metro station that occurred around 6 p.m. Monday night. Staff closed the station after another fire occurred later in the same area so crews could repair that section of the track. One rider complained of smoke inhalation and emergency medical techmicians took the rider to a hospital, said Maggiolo.
D.C. Fire/EMS spokesperson Vito Maggiolo said firefighters responded to the station due to a report of smoke in the station. They arrived after Metro staff had already put out the fire using fire extinguishers in powdered form.
WASHINGTON — The National Transportation Safety Board determined said an arcing insulator caused a fatal smoke incident on the Yellow Line and said Metro’s lack of maintenance procedures contributed to the severity.
WMATA spokesperson says train pieces caused Red Line trouble
WASHINGTON – Metro closed some Red Line stations Saturday evening after a piece of metal fell off a train, hit the third rail and caused smoke to fill a railcar and the station, according to Metro spokesperson Sherri Ly.
Richard Jordan, another Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority spokesperson, said Friendship Heights, Tenleytown and Bethesda stations were closed after a smoke incident occurred near Friendship Heights around 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
District of Columbia Fire and Emergency Medical Services reported no injuries at the time of the incident.
ROCKVILLE – Dozens of Montgomery College students at the Rockville campus, a self-proclaimed tobacco-free campus, as well as some faculty, smoke on a path connecting Mannakee Street to one of the college’s parking lots.