GAITHERSBURG – Montgomery County Police Chief Tom Manger announced Saturday night police arrested three people in connection with the murder of students Shadi Adi Najjar, 17, and Artem S. Ziberov, 18, from Northwest High School.
Police arrested Edgar Garcia-Gaona, 24, Roger Garcia, 19, and Jose Ovilson Canales-Yanez, 25. Each was charged with two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of conspiracy to commit first-degree murder.
Manger said that police received an anonymous tip that Garcia-Gaona, Garcia and Canales-Yanez committed the murder in retaliation for a robbery that Najjar allegedly committed involving Canales-Yanez’s sister. Manger said police have not determined a potential motive for the murder of Ziberov.
“At this time it is unknown if there is a motive for killing Ziberov,” Manger said.
Police originally responded to a call of shots fired at the 8200 block of Gallery Court in Gaithersburg June 5 and discovered Najjar and Ziberov with multiple gunshot wounds on the day they were supposed to graduate from Northwest High School. Both Najjar and Ziberov died at the scene.
- Gaithersburg sponsors school-supply drive for city’s less fortunate
- Police ask for public’s help in identifying bank robbery suspect
- Man dies in collision on Georgia Avenue
- Local student receives new scholarship named for late Gaithersburg activist
- Activists demand answers in cop shooting of Silver Spring man