Smoldering tracks lead to Metro change for second time in a week Featured

metro logoMetro single-tracked Red Line trains during rush hour Tuesday due to an arcing stud bolt, eight days after a similar event caused Metro to close two stations on the Washington Nationals’ opening day.

Metro spokesperson Ron Holzer said Metro single-tracked trains between Farragut North and Judicary Square stations Tuesday due to a “smoldering stud bolt” at Gallery Place station, which caused some smoke.

D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services personnel dispatched to Gallery Place station due to reports of something smoldering on the tracks, Vito Maggiolo said. It turned out to be a stud bolt.

“The initial report of our incident commander was some kind of smoldering debris, but a bolt could fall into that category,” Maggiolo said Wednesday.

Metro later said the incident was an arcing stud bolt.

The single-tracking caused crowding in more than one station in the heart of the Metrorail system during rush hour.

Metro recommended through its alerts that Red Line riders either switch to the Green Line at either Fort Totten station or Gallery Place station or use a bus to reduce their travel time.

Maggiolo said Fire and EMS units were dispatched to the station at 4:50 p.m. and left the station shortly after 6 p.m.

Single-tracking to continue through 7 p.m. because Metro still needed to replace the bolt, Holzer said.

“Single-tracking is the safest course of action until the stud bolt is removed,” Holzer said.

Holzer said the single-tracking caused “extreme crowding in some situations.”

He said any offloading of trains during the single-tracking was to reduce crowding at various stations.

“All the offloads were to help alleviate crowding of trains due to this,” Holzer said.

He said Metro “apologizes for the delay.” Trains typically run every 20 minutes during single-tracking.

Hundreds of riders at the stations that were included in the single-tracking experienced delays of at least 20 minutes.

Metro closed two stations around 10 a.m. the morning of April 10 so trains wouldn’t drive through a smoky tunnel. Metro required rather than asked Red Line riders to switch to the Green Line at Fort Totten and Gallery Place stations. D.C. Fire officials said the initial call for that incident had been a small debris fire on the tracks that turned out to be a smoking stud bolt.



Last modified on%PM, %28 %796 %2017 %18:%Apr
back to top