Menu

Three suspects in custody in Silver Spring rape case

  • Published in Local

Montgomery County Police have charged suspects (left to right) Martin “Fat Mo” Chery, 21, Jordan Cobbs, 20, and Tombong Saidy, 18, in connection with the rape and assault of a 19-year-old woman in Silver Spring. COURTESY PHOTOS Montgomery County Police have charged suspects (left to right) Martin “Fat Mo” Chery, 21, Jordan Cobbs, 20, and Tombong Saidy, 18, in connection with the rape and assault of a 19-year-old woman in Silver Spring. COURTESY PHOTOS  ROCKVILLE — District Court Judge John Moffett denied bond Monday for two men charged with the rape and first-degree assault of a 19-year-old woman who alleged that five men raped her at an apartment in Silver Spring.

"The nature of this crime is a heinous one, with the details being almost really too gory to be heard on television or in the news media,” said Montgomery County State’s Attorney’s Office spokesperson Ramon Korionoff.

The survivor of the rape and assault was a 19-year-old woman whose name has been withheld, according to charging documents. She told police five men had raped and assaulted her in an apartment located on the 11400 block of Lockwood Drive in Silver Spring.

Read more...

MoCo delegation satisfied with legislative session

  • Published in Local

Three members of Montgomery County delegation to the Maryland General Assembly say they are satisfied with their achievements of the 2017 legislative session.

"The 2017 session was quite productive in terms of getting some progressive legislation passed that had been stalled for years," said Del. David Moon (D-20) who represents Takoma Park.

"It was a really busy session, we got a lot done," said Del. Kirill Reznik (D-39) who represents Germantown and Montgomery Village. "From a progressive point of view, from a productive point of view, I think it was a very good session," he added.

The legislation which passed into law included paid sick leave, a fracking ban, and changes to the crime of rape.

Read more...

"Facts...do not support the charges"

  • Published in Local

Prosecutor drops rape case against teen charged in alleged Rockville rape

John McCarthy at press conferenceMontgomery County State’s Attorney John McCarthy.                    PHOTO BY NEAL EARLEY

ROCKVILLE – A prosecutor from the State’s Attorney’s office for Montgomery County dropped the rape charge against Jose Montano, 17, in Montgomery County District Court Friday.

Assistant State’s Attorney Mary Herdman dropped the rape charge on behalf of the prosecution, spokesperson Ramon Korionoff said.

Police charged Montano and 18-year-old Henry Sanchez with first-degree rape and two counts of sexual assault of a 14-year-old girl on March 16 at Rockville High School.

According to Montgomery County State’s Attorney John McCarthy, the prosecution dropped the charges against Montano after its independent investigation showed that there was not enough evidence to prove that Montano raped the 14-year-old Rockville High School student.                                                            

“After a painstaking investigation and review of these matters, we have concluded that the facts of this case do not support the charges originally filed in this matter,” McCarthy said.

Read more...

State drops rape case against Montano

  • Published in Local

ROCKVILLE -- The State’s Attorney office for Montgomery County dropped all charges against Jose Montano, 17, Friday in Montgomery County District Court in Rockville.

Montano along with Henry Sanchez, were charged with first-degree rape and two counts of sexual assault of a 14-year-old girl on March 16 at Rockville High School.

According to John McCarthy, the state’s attorney for Montgomery County, the charges against Montano were dropped after an independent investigation showed that there was not enough evidence to prove that Montano raped the 14-year-old Rockville High School student.

“After a painstaking investigation and review of these matters, we have concluded that the facts of this case do not support the charges originally filed in this matter,” McCarthy said in statement.

Read more...

Immigration issue overshadows rape

  • Published in Local

Outrage and sadness erupted after a girl reported a rape in a Rockville High School bathroom on March 16.

But the unity of emotion following the rape of a 14-year-old student comes to a crashing halt when the topic of immigration surfaces.

Read more...

Outrage over high school rape

  • Published in Local

Parents worry for safety while school system defends actions in wake of crime

Sanchez mug shotHenry E. Sanchez        POLICE COURTESY PHOTO

WASHINGTON D.C. – The federal government will take no special actions against Montgomery County or Rockville, according to White House press secretary Sean Spicer, following a rape of a 14- year-old female student at Rockville High School allegedly involving an 18-year-old and 17-year-old undocumented immigrants.

Both Rockville and Montgomery County do not cooperate with federal authorities on enforcing immigration law unless the person is a violent offender.

“Our policy and executive order speak for themselves,” Spicer said, but added there was “nothing special” planned against either the city or the county.

On Friday, police arrested two students from Rockville High School and charged them with first-degree rape, after allegedly raping a fellow female student Thursday morning around nine a.m.

Henry E. Sanchez, 18, and Jose O. Montano, 17, are both charged with one count of first-degree rape and two first-degree sex offenses and are being held without bond.

Read more...

The politics of a local tragedy

Sanchez mug shot

Somewhere in this county right now a 14-year-old girl is confused, angry and hurting. Dragged into a bathroom at her high school and repeatedly raped, she has been violated and her humanity torn from her in a way no child should ever face.
An 18-year-old illegal immigrant stands accused of the crime along with a 17-year-old juvenile illegal immigrant – one of whom was facing deportation hearings - and because of who they are the story has taken on national significance.

Read more...

Police arrest and charge two male students with rape at high school

  • Published in Crime

Montgomery County Police arrested and charged two male students, a 17-year-old and an 18-year-old, in connection with the alleged rape of a 14-year-old girl at a high school, according to a news release.

The two individuals are being held without bond, according to Montgomery County State’s Attorney Spokesperson Ramon Korionoff.

Read more...

Man found guilty of repeated rape

  • Published in Crime

gavel2  1

ROCKVILLE – A jury found a Silver Spring man guilty of nine counts of sexual abusing his ex-girlfriend’s daughter Aug. 18.

“This case is about a 12-year-old girl who was asleep in her bed, who was brutally and repeatedly raped by someone she considered a father or at the very least, a step-father,” said prosecutor Elizabeth Haynos.

According to police, 35-year-old Kester Cuthbert raped and sexually abused his victim during the course of two years from January 2013 to January 2015.

He is due back in court in October for sentencing and faces a maximum of 190 years in prison.

Read more...

Two men charged with rape of 12-year-old girl in Wheaton

  • Published in Crime

 

 

781a166a-0d1e-4ccc-ae17-baa41943976f-large16x9 FromlefttorightCarbajalTomeFrom left to right: Enrique Carbajal, 24, and Victor Tome, 19, have been arrested and charged with rape and kidnapping. COURTESY PHOTO

Montgomery County Police detectives have arrested and charged 24-year-old Enrique Carbajal and 19-year-old Victor Tome with the kidnapping and rape of a 12-year-old girl in Wheaton. 

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed