Two-alarm Olney fire destroys townhouse, displaces 20 neighbors

  • Published in Local

Olney FireA two-alarm fire at an Olney townhouse displaced 20 people from their neighboring homes Friday night. PHOTO BY GLYNIS KAZANJIAN  A two-alarm fire in Olney Friday night obliterated an entire townhouse, caused approximately $1.4 million in damages and displaced 20 people from neighboring homes, fire officials reported.

The fire started in a townhouse community in the 3500 block of Softwood Terrace as a result of a unidentified resident using lighter fluid to restart a wood-burning fire in the basement, Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service Spokesman Pete Piringer said.

“There was some kind of malfunction with the lighter fluid can,” Piringer said. “The fire came back at him and the rest of the lighter fluid became involved. Then the fire spread rapidly.”

The resident left the door to the basement open when evacuating, which fueled the fire, according to Piringer.

Piringer said a neighbor called the fire department after noticing the neighbor’s deck ablaze.

Station 40 of the Sandy Spring Volunteer Fire Department on Georgia Avenue in Olney was the first to respond at 7:15 p.m. Approximately 100 MCFRS firefighters overall from multiple stations responded to the fire, Piringer said.


Fire in Montgomery Village leaves four homeless

  • Published in Local

townhousefireFirefighters put out fire at townhouse in Montgomery Village.         PHOTO BY KATHLEEN STUBBS

MONTGOMERY VILLAGE – A fire at a townhouse displaced three siblings and their cousin Friday night. 

No injuries were reported after part of the townhouse above the ceiling caught fire and filled the home with smoke, said Bill Dunn, assistant fire chief for the Rockville Volunteer Fire Department. The fire went above the ceiling but not through the roof, which would have been more serious. 


Gaithersburg townhouse fire displaces 12

  • Published in Local

gbfireGAITHERSBURG – Montgomery County firefighters battled and defeated a two-alarm fire that displaced a dozen people Saturday night.

According to county fire department spokesperson Pete Piringer, the fire at 17 Silver Kettle Court in Shady Grove Village broke out around 8:30 p.m. Fire crews arrived on the scene to find heavy smoke coming from the three-story townhouse.

Subscribe to this RSS feed