Menu

Gaithersburg Considers Budget Proposal

  • Published in Local

Gaithersburg Govt logo

GAITHERSBURG – The heads of city agencies came to City Hall Monday night to tell Mayor Jud Ashman and the City Council how their departments planned to allocate funds in the city’s proposed operating budget for Fiscal Year 2018.

City Manager Tony Tomasello, in his opening remarks, said the budget increased by less than a quarter of a percent over the previous year. Several department heads discussed personnel or organizational changes.

“Although there has been talk in Congress of eliminating CDBG (Community Development Block Grants), we decreased that allocation just a small amount,” said Louise Kaufmann, chief of Housing and Community Development. “Last year, we received $353,000 in CDBG funds, of which $230,000 was allocated to the housing programs and this year $220,000. If we get a smaller grant from Congress, we can make adjustments.”

Read more...

Gaithersburg moves ahead on budget amid funding fears

  • Published in Local

Gaithersburg Govt logo

GAITHERSBURG – Council member Michael A. Sesma, a longtime member of an advocacy group representing municipalities across the country, shared concerns about proposed federal budget cuts at a March 20 meeting that were first expressed at the National League of Cities’ Congressional Cities Conference in Washington last week.

Sesma noted that in the past, the NLC had been granted meetings with members of incoming presidential administrations, including cabinet secretaries, but that its only audience thus far with a member of the Trump administration was a presentation by Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt, who as Oklahoma attorney general sued the agency he now leads on multiple occasions.

“It was an interesting presentation,” Sesma said. Sesma added that President Donald J. Trump's proposed wide-reaching cuts in the federal budget had alarmed many NLC members.

Read more...

Van Hollen blasts Trump budget cuts

  • Published in News

Chris Van HollenSen. Chris Van Hollen (D)    FILE PHOTO  

CAPITOL HILL – Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D) came out strongly against the budget proposal unveiled by President Donald Trump, which features harsh cuts to many federal agencies.

In a press conference on Thursday, Van Hollen said the budget blueprint Trump submitted that describes how his administration intends to allocate discretionary spending represents a “betrayal” of Trump’s campaign promises and everyday Americans.

“The Trump budget is great if you can get on a plane every weekend and fly to Mar-a-Lago. But it stinks for everybody else,” Van Hollen said, referring to the president’s Florida resort. “It is directly aimed at hurting working families, and it will hurt people’s opportunities to get ahead and make it in America.”

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed