The first week of the Cal Ripken Collegiate Baseball League has wrapped up, and awards for Offensive Player of the Week and Pitcher of the Week for the first week of June have been announced.
Bethesda Big Train outfielder Justin Wylie was named Offensive Player of the Week. This past week, Wylie hit .444 with four doubles, two home runs, and eight runs batted in, had five walks and scored eight runs while stealing a base. He had an on-base percentage of .542 and a slugging percentage of 1.000. He is currently a rising senior at the University of Arizona. Wylie also resides in Chandler, Arizona. Wylie transferred to Arizona from San Diego State, where he hit .269 in 116 games over three years, and was named to the 2015 and 2016 Mountain West Conference All-Tournament Teams.
Meanwhile, Yash Rane of the Silver Spring-Takoma Thunderbolts was named Pitcher of the Week for the league. Rane struck out 10 batters in five innings while allowing just three hits and two earned runs. He picked up the win over the Alexandria Aces on opening day. Rane is a resident of Potomac, as well as a rising sophomore at Lehigh University.
- Cal Ripken League names Reynolds and Burleson as Players of the Week
- RM Rockets hang on against Magruder in Maryland Elite hoops
- Good Counsel boys beat Sherwood in summer league basketball
- Gaithersburg Giants beat Rockville Express in dominant pitching duel
- Bethesda Big Train flattens Rockville Express, 14-5