Advertisement

Updated for:

Saturday, April 19, 2014 3:08 AM

The Sentinel Newspapers

Helpful Tools

Subscribe to:

  • RSS

Firefighter Injured, Bowie Dogs Saved in Fire


Share This Article:

Prince George's County firefighters responded to a house on Sandal Lane in Bowie. Photo by Jim Davis

Prince George's County firefighters responded to a house on Sandal Lane in Bowie. Photo by Jim Davis

Published on: Friday, October 25, 2013

By Jim Davis, Special to The Sentinel

Prince George 's County Fire Investigations Division arrested Julian Martin Massiah of Bowie , in connection with the fire that occurred on Oct. 23 at 12418 Sandal Lane , in Bowie .

 Shortly after 9 a.m. units from Prince George 's County Fire Department responded to the 12400 of Sandal Lane in Bowie for a reported house fire. According to Mark Brady spokesperson for Prince George 's County Fire Department , when firefighters arrived on the scene they encountered heavy fire coming from the two-story house.

 Firefighters entered the house and were able to bring the fire under control within 30 minutes but the house was destroyed stated Brady.Prince George's County Fire Department investigators were called to the scene to investigate the fire.

A City of Bowie Police officer assists in providing oxygen to a Chihuahua overcome by smoke from a house fire in bowie. Photo by Jim Davis

A City of Bowie Police officer assists in providing oxygen to a Chihuahua overcome by smoke from a house fire in bowie. Photo by Jim Davis

After an extensive investigation into the fire Prince George's County Fire Department investigators arrested Massiah and charged him with 1st and 2ndDegree Arson, felonies, carrying a maximum sentence of 30 years and 20 years respectively, with further charges possible after review from the State’s Attorney’s Office. Massiah is currently being held at the Prince George ’s County Department of Corrections on a $150,000 bond.

 Massiah had rented a room in the house stated Brady, but at the time of the fire he was not living at the house.

  Prince George 's County Fire/EMS Chief Marc S. Bashoor commended the firefighters for putting the fire down. Chief Bashoor also acknowledged the "around-the-clock investigation" by personnel from the Office of the Fire Marshal in identifying and arresting the suspect.

After the fire was extinguished, firefighters were performing overhaul and found and evacuated two small dogs on the first floor. One of the dogs, a Chihuahua named Mylo has passed away. The other small black dog, Otis was treated by Chesapeake Veterinary Clinic and released to his family.

Reader Comments - 0 Total

captcha 20a85fa209cb4fb4ad9a2f36f4a0a34e



Advertisement:
Advertisement:

Today's Poll

Question: Which is your primary mobile device for following the news?
  • iPhone
  • Android
  • BlackBerry
  • Other smartphone
  • iPad
  • Other tablet
  • None

Most Popular

Current Issue

This Week's Issue

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Classifieds

Advertisement: