Mother who killed daughters sentences to 45 years

Sonya SpoonUPPER MARLBORO – Sonya Spoon of Cheverly was sentenced to 45 years in prison on Wednesday after she pleaded guilty to two counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of her two daughters, Kayla, 3, and Ayden, 1, in September 2014.

In the early hours on Sept. 8, police and fire units from Prince George's County responded to the 6200 block of Forest Road after Sonya’s mother, Paivi Spoon, called the police after Sonya woke her up and told her she had killed the children.

According to court records, Spoon killed her daughters by placing plastic bags over their heads and securing them with duct tape. The murders occurred shortly after Spoon was released from a local hospital where she had been under evaluation after previously making threats of harm against herself and her children.

Several days after she was arrested, Spoon was transferred to the Clifton T. Perkins Hospital Center in Jessup after a psychiatrist found it would be a “better fit for her,” according to a spokesperson for the Prince George's County Department of Corrections.

Before she was sentenced, Spoon told Associate Judge Lawrence V.  Hill, “I don't know exactly what's wrong with me.”

“Today, we held Sonya Spoon accountable for these heinous crimes,” Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Angela Alsobrooks said. “These two innocent children were killed in their beds, in their home where they should have been safe. We must continue to do all we can to ensure that no other family has to suffer through the loss of a child in this manner and that no child is ever placed into this type of dangerous situation.”

Since then, Alsobrooks has spent time in Annapolis advocating for legislation to increase reporting requirements for those who come in contact with children such as educators, law enforcement and health practitioners to ensure that in addition to actual harm to a child, threats of harm to a child would be reported to the proper authorities. After three years of advocating for the law, it passed the House, but failed in the Senate during the 2017 session of the Maryland General Assembly. Alsobrooks plans to advocate for the bill again next year.


back to top