Pregnant woman set on fire

womanonfireCAPITOL HEIGHTS – A 31-year-old pregnant woman who had to give birth after she was set on fire last Friday morning inside her Chapel Oaks apartment is in critical condition at a Washington MedStar burn unit.

The fire was reported shortly after 11:30 a.m. at the Addison Chapel Apartment complex in the 1400 block of Elkwood Lane just off Addison Road.

When fire and police units arrived on the scene they reported smoke coming from a second floor apartment with a pregnant woman in front of the building with critical burns to her body.

“I was inside my apartment when a lady banged on my door and said her baby daddy put her in a tub and set her on fire,” said neighbor Mira Nelson.

Nelson, with help from other residents, was able to carry the woman out of the building to fire/EMS personnel. The woman's mother said her daughter, Andrea Grinage, suffered burns to a large part of her body.

“She was very brave with critical burns to her body,” said Jennifer Donelan, director of media relations for the Prince George's County Police Department. “She was able to tell emergency personnel and our officers who set her on fire, and also indicated to our officers that particular individual. An adult male with whom she had a relationship with was possibly on his way to Washington D.C. to do more harm to a relative of hers.”

Prince George's County Fire Department Spokesperson Mark Brady said the fire was contained to one unit and was quickly extinguished. No other injuries reported.

Prince George's County Police Chief Hank Stawinski  notified Police Chief Peter Newsham of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) of the incident, and with officers from the MPD along with detectives and fire investigators from Prince George's County, were able to locate the suspect and placed him under arrest.

Police have identified the suspect as 34-year-old Laquinn Phillips of the 2100 block of Ridgecrest Court SE in the District of Columbia. 

Phillips is charged with attempted first and second-degree murder, arson, assault and several additional related charges. He remains in custody in the District awaiting extradition to Prince George's County.

back to top