HILLCREST HEIGHTS -- An adult male was found dead early Friday morning after firefighters navigated their way through an extremely cluttered house on fire.
Just before 2 a.m Friday, units from Prince George’s County Fire Department responded to the 1900 block of Callaway Street after a neighbor saw fire coming from the basement of a one-story house.
When fire crews arrived on the scene they reported heavy fire conditions in the basement area with a partial collapse of the first floor into the basement.
“Firefighters found excessive storage conditions throughout the structure, which made it difficult to extinguish the fire,” said Assistant Fire Chief Alan Doubleday. “As a result of the collapse, part of the house became unstable. We had to call in the department’s technical rescue squad team to stabilize that part of the house. Once that was done firefighters were able to get in and extinguish the hot spots and conduct a secondary search of the structure, resulting in locating a deceased person.”
Homicide detectives from Prince George's County Police Department were called to the scene as part of the standard procedure at any fatal fire in the county to assist fire investigators in their work to determine the cause of the fire and cause of death.
- Council seeks options for school CIP funding
- Members of Greenbelt City Council criticize maglev project
- Festival del Rio Anacostia offers Latino community opportunity to learn about environmental issues
- Board ponders if new policies are working, admin leave down
- Residents discuss housing needs at comprehensive strategy meeting