Malik, Elijah Ford plead guilty

FORD brosUPPER MARLBORO – Malik and Elijah Ford, the brothers of Michael Ford, who opened fire in March 2016 on a Prince George's County police station that led to the friendly fire death of county detective Jacai Colson, pleaded guilty in an Upper Marlboro court room Tuesday morning to their role in the shooting.

On that day, just after 4 p.m., the three brothers drove up Barlowe Road and parked in front of the District III Police Headquarters in Landover. Michael then got out of the car holding a .40 caliber handgun and opened fire at the police station as both his brothers sat in the vehicle and recording the attack on their cell phones.

As Michael was shooting, Colson, who was off-duty, not wearing a uniform and driving a private car, arrived and put himself between the station and Michael. During the gun battle, an officer mistook Colson for a second shooter and shot him. Colson was quickly put in a police car and transported to the Prince George’s County Trauma Center, where he was later pronounced dead.

“This attack was not an attack on Detective Colson, who was tragically lost. This attack was on the entire community,” Prince George’s County Police Chief Hank Stawinski said. “This attack was on by-standers and fire/EMS personnel. This was a reckless attack on a police station and, finally, I support the efforts of the community throughout this process.”

Malik faces 20 years in prison after he pled guilty to attempted second-degree murder, using a handgun to commit a felony, and conspiracy to commit first- degree murder. Elijah faces 12 years in prison after he pled guilty to conspiracy to commit first-degree murder.

“Malik and Elijah Ford were involved in a direct attack on our police and our community,” Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Angela Alsobrooks said. “We are very pleased at the outcome of today’s hearing and our thoughts and prayers continue to go out to the Colson family and all of those who were directly impacted by this senseless act of violence.”

Sentencing for Malik and Elijah is currently set for May 4, 2018.

Michael Ford’s attorney says his client plans to go to trial.

back to top