Menu

Seat Pleasant fire leaves one dead

seatpleasantfireSEAT PLEASANT – An 80-year-old woman is dead and two firefighters are injured after a fire erupted in a Seat Pleasant house last Friday morning.

Just after 3 a.m., firefighters from Capitol Heights, District Heights, Kentland and surrounding fire departments responded to the 6800 block of Wilburn Drive for a report of a house fire with people trapped.

First arriving units reported heavy fire showing from the top floor of a two-level, split-foyer, single-family home with a report of a woman still trapped inside.

As firefighters were making an aggressive attack on the fire, they located an unconscious female on the first level and removed her from the structure. Once outside, paramedics provided CPR as well as other advanced life support measures and transported the female to a nearby Trauma Center. She was pronounced dead a short time after arriving at the hospital.

Officials have identified the woman as Elaine James of 6806 Wilburn Drive in Seat Pleasant.

According to fire officials on the scene, the woman’s son – an adult male in his 50s – was also in the house when the fire erupted, but was able to evacuate. He was transported to a nearby hospital for smoke inhalation.

Two county firefighters were also transported to the Burn Unit at Medstar Washington Hospital Center suffering burns to their upper bodies. They were treated and released.

“Our fire investigators were called to the scene,” said Mark Brady, spokesperson for the Prince George's County Fire Department. “During their investigation they determined the fire was accidental and the origin to be in the area of the stove located in the kitchen.

“Investigators also determined there was no working smoke alarm in the house at the time of the fire.”

It was the fifth fatal fire in Prince George's County this month. On Nov. 2, two homeless men died in a house fire in Seat Pleasant. Then, on Nov. 15, a mother in her 80s and her son in his 60s died after a fire erupted in their Temple Hills home. Investigators also determined there was no working smoke alarm in the house at the time of the fire.

Residents of Prince George's County can receive a free smoke alarm by calling (301) 583-2200.

Last modified onMonday, 27 November 2017 17:15
back to top