HYATTSVILLE – Detectives from the Prince George's County Police Department's Homicide Unit have made an arrest in the death of 20-year-old Brandon Eduardo Sorto.
On Tuesday, detectives arrested 20-year-old Kevin Hernandez-Guevara of no fixed address and 21-year-old Nelson Valdez-Mendez of the 4900 block of Russell Avenue in Mount Rainier for the fatal stabbing of Sorto that happened on July 30.
Around 10 a.m. that Saturday morning, patrol units from the Hyattsville City Police, along with patrol units from Prince George's County Police Department, were called to the 3100 block of Oliver Street for an unresponsive man on the ground. Officers then found Sorto outside a house suffering from stab wounds. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
According to court records, Sorto had been arrested on a number of traffic violations, as well as disorderly conduct, theft and other charges.
Officials said the preliminary investigation revealed the stabbing stemmed from an ongoing dispute.
Both Guevara and Mendez have been charged with first and second-degree murder along with other charges. They are now in the custody of the department of corrections on a no-bond status.
- Council seeks options for school CIP funding
- Members of Greenbelt City Council criticize maglev project
- Festival del Rio Anacostia offers Latino community opportunity to learn about environmental issues
- Board ponders if new policies are working, admin leave down
- Residents discuss housing needs at comprehensive strategy meeting