Three students involved in stabbing at Central High School

CAPITOL HEIGHTS - Two students were sent to the hospital with minor injuries after an interpersonal dispute between three students at Central High School resulted in a stabbing.

Prince George’s County Police Chief Hank Stawinski addressed the public an hour after the incident occurred. Authorities said the students were arguing in a hallway around 9 a.m. when one of the students pulled out a “small knife” of about two or three inches.

“Two students during that fight were wounded,” Stawinski said. “They are not life-threating wounds, but it is a serious matter that this wounding occurred in the school.”

Stawinski said the school resource officer was one of the first on the scene and was able to bring the event to a “quick resolution.” A trauma kit was brought to the scene immediately, though the injuries were found to be non-life-threatening. The two of the students were transported to a local hospital, while the third turned himself in to school administration. The school leadership was interviewed by the Prince George’s Police Department. Stawinski said the student who turned himself in was also being interviewed by police at the time of the press conference.

Details are still unclear as to what led to the altercation, Stawinski said, but noted that he believed there was more to the story than a one-time altercation in the school hallway.

“There is another component to this story that extends beyond this event, so I’m going to allow this to develop,” he said. “But we haven’t drawn conclusions about all those dynamics just yet.” 

Central High School was stable again by 10 a.m. and students were back in their classes shortly after. Prince George’s County Public Schools Chief Executive Officer, Kevin Maxwell, said the school system and PGPD have a good working relationship and that there was a quick and diligent response to the altercations at Central.

Maxwell said additional supports will be at the high school throughout the day, including extra security.

“We are going to run the rest of the school day,” he said. “We know there are parents who want to touch base with their kids and those kinds of things and when we lift the lockdown, we will do our best to that in an orderly fashion.”

While there would be more security at the school, Maxwell emphasized that the school system does not have any plans to install metal detectors

PGCPS will work “hand in glove” with the police, Maxwell said, to make sure they get all the answers. Police will continue to interview and investigate.

“Those are the facts that I have right now for the community, again bearing in mind that we are just over an hour into this event,” Stawinski said. “Now we are doing the deliberate work of piecing together what this event was about so that we can come back and explain and hold responsible individuals accountable.”



Last modified onThursday, 11 January 2018 19:52
back to top