Tuesday, March 11, 2014 5:59 PM
Courtesy photo. Heavyweight boxer Seth Mitchell wins a match in December 2010.
Published on: Wednesday, November 14, 2012
By Brandy L. Simms
Heavyweight title contender and Brandywine native Seth “Mayhem” Mitchell puts his unbeaten record on the line this weekend in Atlantic City.
The Gwynn Park High graduate is scheduled to battle Johnathon Banks at Boardwalk Hall in a 12-round bout for Mitchell’s NABO heavyweight title.
The fight was originally scheduled for July but was postponed when Mitchell suffered a hand injury forcing him to withdraw from the original date.
“It’s taken a while, but I’m happy to finally be back in action and fighting a great opponent like Johnathon Banks,” Mitchell said. “I love fighting in Atlantic City because I know my fans from Maryland and the D.C. area will be out in force cheering me on. I am going to give them all a great fight.”
The co-main event is part of the HBO World Championship Boxing telecast that also features the lightweight bout between Adrien Broner and Antonio DeMarco.
Mitchell, a 30-year-old former standout Michigan State linebacker, boasts a record of 25-0-1 with 19 KO’s. His past two fights have lasted a combined five rounds, victories over Timur Ibragimov and Chazz Witherspoon.
Meanwhile, Banks (28-1-1, 18 KO’s) is a three-time national amateur champion who worked with legendary trainer Emanuel Steward prior to his death last month. Since Steward’s passing, the 30-year-old Detroit native has been training with Wladimir Klitschko.
“I’m looking to steal the show on Nov. 17,” Banks said. “I’ll prove what a true boxer at the highest level can do against a football player. The winner of our fight should be next in line for a title shot. I plan on making sure that winner is me.”