Peterson outclassed by Spence at Barclays

  • Written by  Ron Harris, courtesy photo by Amanda Westcott
  • Published in Sports
  • Read 455 times
  • Print
  • Email

spence 3BROOKLYN, NY – Errol Spence, Jr. retained his International Boxing Federation welterweight championship with a TKO of Washington, DC’s Lamont Peterson last week at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY.

Peterson came out for the eighth round, and trainer/mentor/father figure Barry Hunter signaled to referee Harvey Dock that Peterson had enough.

Spence dominated Peterson from the opening minutes of the first round. As a southpaw fighter, Spence kept his right jab in Peterson’s face and on his gloves all night long.

Off of the jab, he was able to land some body shots as well as some left hooks and combinations. Spence threw 526 total punches to Peterson’s 158, and he threw 247 jabs to Peterson’s 43. Peterson had no answers.

Peterson (35-4) hit the canvas in the fifth round with a clean shot from Spence. The jab was working so well for Spence (23-0) that Peterson could never get set to throw shots of his own. Peterson was able to get a jab and right cross in on occasions with little effect on Spence.

All 12,107 in attendance could easily score this fight. It was a shutout through seven rounds.

Spence, from Dallas, credits his gameplan, “I just followed through with it. Kept my range and kept my composure.”

Never one for excuses, Peterson called it like it was.

“He was getting shots on me early. He was the better man tonight,” Peterson said.

As for Hunter’s decision to stop the fight, Peterson understood the judgment.

“I always respect Barry’s decision. If he asks me to fight a million people, I will. If he asks me to stop, I will stop.” Peterson went on, “I will never question his decision. I know he has my best interest at heart.”

When asked about retirement, Peterson claimed that he "would have to think about in the next few weeks."

“It was really hard, but if you know Lamont, you know he was not going to give up," Hunter said. "So I had to stop it.”

After a two year layoff, Anthony Peterson was as sharp as ever in a 10 round unanimous decision over long-armed Luis Florez and improved his record to 38-1. All three judges scored the fight 100-90, a shutout.

“I was glad I went the distance,” Anthony said. “I showed people that I am ready and should be considered for a title shot.” Florez was able to knock Peterson’s mouthpiece out in the third round.”

back to top