Sunday, December 08, 2013 7:47 PM
Published on: Wednesday, September 25, 2013
By Jim Davis
Several Prince George’s County volunteer firefighters and emergency medical technicians received awards Sept. 13 at the 91st Prince George’s County Volunteer Firefighter Convention held at the Greenbelt Volunteer Fire Department.
About a dozen awards were presented to volunteer firefighters and medics for their action on incidents in Prince George’s County.
One award was presented to Lt. Timothy McCloskey of Kentland Volunteer Fire Department for rescuing several people from a house fire on Feb. 21in the 8600 block of Leslie Street in Glenarden.
McCloskey said he was in charge of the first engine on the scene at the early morning house fire.
“When we arrived on the scene, we encountered heavy fire coming from a one-story house,” McCloskey said. “When I dismounted from the fire truck, a woman was yelling, ‘My babies, my babies!’ At that point my crew and I advanced a hose line inside the house. As we were extinguishing the fire, I located an adult male in the hallway. I quickly carried him outside and turned him over to the paramedics.”
McClosky continued, “I quickly turned around and went back inside to search for more victims. As I was inside, a second firefighter was removing a small child from the back bedroom. As soon as he left, I located another child in the bedroom, and I carried the child outside to paramedics and then went back in to search for more victims.”
A father and three of his daughter were all transported to a local hospital, but despite the efforts of the firefighters and paramedics, they died.
For his actions McCloskey received the William Brown trophy for Rescue Squadsman of the Year award.
A second Kentland firefighter also was presented with the Rescue Squadsman of the Year award for his actions at a house fire in the 5800 block of Sheriff Road in Chapel Oaks on Nov. 7, 2012.
Just before 2:30 a.m., Volunteer Fire Capt. Richard Green along with other firefighters from the Kentland Fire Department and firefighters from several other fire departments in the area responded to the house fire on Sheriff Road. Upon arrival they encountered heavy fire coming from a two-story house.
“When we arrived on the scene, I entered the house without a hose line to search for victims. When I reached the top floor, I located an adult male unconscious and not breathing and started CPR on the victim. I carried the man outside where paramedics took over. I then returned back into the house to make sure everyone was out,” Green said.
When asked about the award, Green said, “It’s not a big thing. I was just doing a job I love and helping people.”